Skip to main content

Relative Pronouns


RELATIVE PRONOUNS


Read the following pairs of sentences:
I met Hari. Hari had just returned.
I have found the pen. I lost the pen.
Here is the book. You lent me the book.


Let us now combine each of the above pairs into one sentence. Thus :-

I met Hari who had just returned.
I have found the pen which I lost.
Here is the book that you lent me.

Now let us examine the work done by each of the words, who, which and that.

The word who is used instead of the noun Hari. It, therefore, does the work of a Pronoun. The word who joins or connects two statements. It, therefore, does the work of a Conjunction.

The word who, therefore, does double work-the work of a Pronoun and also the work of a Conjunction.

We might, therefore, call it a Conjunctive Pronoun.

It is, however, called a Relative Pronoun because it refers or relates (Le., carries us back) to some noun going before (here, the noun Hari), which is called its Antecedent.

Let the pupil show why which and that are also Relative Pronouns in the second and third sentences.

What is the Antecedent of which in the second sentence?
What is the Antecedent of that in the third sentence?

Forms of the Relative Pronouns

The Relative Pronoun who has different forms for Accusative and Genitive.

--- Singular and Plural Nominative -- who Genitive -- whose

Accusative -- whom/who (who replaces whom in informal English.)

This is the boy (or girl) who works hard.
This is the boy (or girl) whose exercise is done well.

This is the boy (or girl) whom / who all praise.
These are the boys (or girls) who work hard.

These are the boys (or giris) whose exercises are done well.

These are the boys (or girls) whom / who all praise.

It will be noticed that the forms are the same for singular and plural, masculine and feminine.

The Relative Pronoun which has the same form for the Nominative and Accusative cases.



This is the house which belongs to my uncle.
The house which my uncle built cost him Rs. 3,50,000

The Relative Pronoun which has no Genitive Case, but whose is used as a substitute for 'of which'; as

A triangle whose three sides are equal is called an equilateral triangle.

The Relative Pronoun that has the same form in the Singular and Plural, and in the Nominative and Accusative. It has no Genitive case.
He that is content is rich.

They that touch pitch will be defiled. Take anything that you like.

The Relative Pronoun what is used only in the Singular, and has the same form in the Nominative and Accusative.

What has happened is not clear.
I say what I mean.

He failed in what he attempted.

Use of the Relative Pronouns

As a general rule, who is used for persons only. It may refer to a Singular or a Plural Noun.

The man who is honest is trusted.
Blessed is he who has found his work.

He prayeth best who loveth best.

He who hesitates is lost.

They never fail who die in a great cause.

They are slaves Who dare not be

In the right with two or three.

Who is sometimes used in referring to animals.

Whose (the Possessive form of who) is used in speaking of persons, animals and also things without life ; as,

The sun, whose rays give life to the earth, is regarded by some people as a god.
This is the question whose solution has baffled philosophers of all ages.

[More properly, 'This is the question the solution of which has baffled philosophers of all ages'.]

Which is used for things without life and for animals. It may refer to a Singular or Plural Noun.

The moment which is lost is lost for ever.
The books which help you most are those which make you think most.

The horse which I recently bought is an Arab.

Which was formerly used to refer to persons; as,

Our Father, which art in heaven.


Which may also refer to a sentence; as,

The man was said to be drunk, which was not the case.
He said he saw me there, which was a lie.
He is here, which is fortunate.

Note- The relative pronouns who and which can be used-

To restrict, limit, or define more clearly the antecedent; that is; where the clause introduced by a relative pronoun is restrictive or non-defining; as,

The man who had cheated me was yesterday arrested by the police.
The book which you see on the table cost me ninety rupees.

To give some additional information about the antecedent; that is, where the clause introduced by a relative pronoun is continuative or defining; as,

The teacher sent for the boy, who (= and he) came at once.
I gave him a rupee, which (= and it) was all I had with me.

Note that non-defining clauses are separated from the main clause by commas. Compare:

My brother who is a doctor has gone to America.
My brother, who is a doctor, has gone to America.

The first sentence implies that the speaker has several brothers, and the clause who is a doctor distinguishes a particular one of them. In the second, the clause does not define and the implication is that the speaker has only one brother.

That is used for persons and things. It may refer to a Singular or a Plural Noun.
That has no genitive case and it is never used with a preposition preceding.

This is the boy that I told you of.
I know the house that he lives in.

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.

I have lost the watch that you gave me.
Thrice is he armed that hath his quarrel just.

A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.

He that is not with me is against me.

Happy is the man that findeth wisdom.

He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty.

The crowd that gathered cheered him to the echo.
Who that has met him can escape his influence ?

All that I said had no effect on him.

He was the most eloquent speaker that I ever heard.

It will be noticed that the relative pronoun that is used only in defining clauses, i.e., clauses that restrict, limit, or define the antecedent.

That may be used as an adverbial accusative = on which, in which, at which; as, I remember the day that he came.

On the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die..


As the Relative Pronoun that has a restrictive force it sometimes becomes unsuitable as the substitute for who or which. Thus I cannot say-

My father that is a schoolmaster is fifty years old.
I must say-
My father who is schoolmaster, is fifty years old.
But if I happen to have more than one sister, I can say-My sister that has been adopted by my uncle is ill.

The Relative Pronoun that is used in preference to who or which-
After Adjectives in the Superlative Degree; as,

He was the most eloquent speaker that I ever heard.
The wisest man that ever lived made mistakes.

This is the best that we can do.

After the words all, same, any, none, nothing, (the) only; as,

All is not gold that glitters.

He is the same man that he has been.
It is only donkeys that bray.

It was not for nothing that he studied philosophy.

Man is the only animal that can talk.

After the Interrogative Pronouns who, what; as,

Who that saw her did not pity her?
Who am I that I should object?

What is it that troubles you so much?
What is there that I do not know ?

After two antecedents, one denoting a person and the other denoting an animal or a thing; as,
The boy and his dog that had trespassed on the club premises were turned out.

What refers to things only. It is used without an antecedent expressed, and is equivalent to that which (or the thing which).

What (= that which) cannot be cured must be endured. I say what (= that which) T mean.
T mean what I say.

What is done cannot be undone. What man has done man can do.

What is one man's meat is another man's poison. Give careful heed to what I say.

What I have written, I have written. He found what he was looking for.

It will be noticed that what is used in the Nominative and Accusative singular only.

In older English the word as was used as a relative pronoun after such; as, Tears such as angels weep burst forth.

These mangoes are not such as I bought yesterday. He is such a man as I honour.

We have never had such a time as the present.
His answer was such as I expected him to give.

The word as can be used as a relative pronoun after same; as,
My trouble is the same as yours [is].
This is not the same as that [is].
[But] I played with the same bat that you did.
‘The same as’ usually means ‘of the same kind’.
‘The same...that’ means ‘one and the same’.

The word as is also used as a Relative Pronoun after as followed by an adjective; as, I collected as many specimens as I could find. [Note.- The first as is here an Adverb.]

In older English the word but was used as a relative pronoun after a negative; it often had the force of a relative pronoun..
There is none but will agree with me. (but will agree = who will not agree).

There is no Hindu but knows the story of the Ramayana. (That is, there is
no Hindu who does not know, etc.)
There is no man but wishes to live.
There is no rose but has some thorn, (but = which...no)
There is scarcely a child but likes candy.
There is no man but knows these things, (but = who does not.)
It will be seen that the pronoun but is here equivalent to who...not, which...not.

Omission of the Relative Pronoun

The Relative Pronoun is generally omitted when it would be in the accusative case ;
as,
Few and short were the prayers -- we said.

A contented mind is the greatest blessing -- a man can enjoy in the world. I am monarch of all -- I survey.
Men must reap the things -- they sow.

“That is used preferably with reference to persons. Thus we tend to say ‘the meeting which I attended yesterday,’ rather than ‘the meeting that I attended yesterday.’ But more frequently still do we say ‘the meeting I attended yesterday,’ the Accusative Relative being as a rule omitted altogether.” -Onions.

This tendency to omit the Accussative Relative is more marked in the spoken language.
In the written language its omission is often felt to be undignified.

In the following examples from poetry a Relative Pronoun in the nominative case is omitted :-

“Tis distance -- lends enchantment to the view.” “I have a brother -- is condemned to die.”

Note.- The omission of a Relative Pronoun in the nominative case is now quite exceptional except in colloquial speech. There's somebody at the door A wants to see you.


Omission of the Antecedent

 In older English the Antecedent of a Relative Pronoun was


sometimes left out ; as,
Who works not shall not eat.

(He) who works shall not cat. Whom the gods love, die young.

(Those) whom the gods love die young. Who steals my purse, steals trash.
Who laughs last laughs best.
Who has lost all hope has also lost all fear.
Be good, sweet maid, and let who will be clever.

Agreement of the Relative Pronoun and its Antecedent

As the Relative Pronoun refers to a Noun or Pronoun (called its Antecedent) it must be of the same number and person as its Antecedent. [Remember that the verb shows the number and person of the Relative Pronoun.]

The boy who was lazy was punished.
The boys who were lazy were punished.

I, who am your king, will lead you.

I am the person that is to blame.
We who seek your protection, are strangers here.

thou that leadest Israel !

You who arc mighty, should be merciful.

You who seek wisdom, should be humble.

He that is not with me is against me.

He that is down, needs fear no fall.
He that eats till he is sick must fast till he is well.

They who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

They who seek only for faults see nothing else.

The flowers which grow in our gardens are not for sale.

This is the only one of his poems that is worth reading.

[= Of his poems this is the only one that is worth reading.]

But the case of the Relative Pronoun depends upon its relation to the verb in the clause in which it occurs.
Rama is the boy who did it.
Rama is the boy whom I want.
Rama is the boy whose pencil I have.

Rama is the boy to whom 1 spoke.

He whom we worship, by whose gift we live, is the Lord.

Position of the Relative Pronoun


To prevent ambiguity, the Relative Pronoun should be placed as near as possible to its Antecedent; as,
The boy who won the first prize in English is the son. of my friend,


Mr. Joshi.

It would mean something quite different if we separate the Relative Pronoun from its Antecedent and say-
The boy is the son of my friend Mr. Joshi who won the first prize.

Again such a sentence as “I have read Gokhale's speeches, who was a disciple of Ranade” would be improved if changed to “I have read Gokhale’s speeches, who was a disciple of Ranade”.

So also the following sentence requires to be rearranged:-


I with my family reside in a village near Pune which consists of my wife and three children.

Compound Relative Pronouns

Pronouns formed by adding ever, so, or soever to who, which and what are called Compound Relative Pronouns. They are:-
Whoever, whoso, whosoever; whichever; whatever, whatsoever.

These Relatives have no antecedent expressed.
Whosoever (= any and every person who) exalteth himself shall be abased.
Whoso diggeth a pit shall fall therein.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might.

The forms whoever, whichever, and whatever are now ordinarily used; as, Whoever (i.e., any person who) comes is welcome.
Take whichever lie., any which) you like.

I will take with me whomsoever you choose. Whatever (i.e, anything which) he does, he does well.

Exercise in Grammar

Name the Relative Pronouns in the following sentences, tell the case of each, and mention its antecedent:-
The pen that you gave me is a very good one.
The answer which you gave is not right.
I know the woman whose child was hurt.
Bring me the letters which the postman left.
This is the house that Jack built.

Hari saw the man who had been hurt.
We met the sailors whose ship was wrecked.
Here are the books which I found.
The cat killed the rat that ate the com.
Bring me the books which lie on the table.
Here is the book that you lent me.
I hate children who are cruel.
Show me the knife that you have bought.
He has not brought the knife that I asked for.
Dogs soon know the persons by whom they are kindly treated.
This is the juggler whom we saw yesterday.
They that seek wisdom will be wise

Exercise in Composition


Fill the blanks with suitable Relative Pronouns:-
We always like boys --- speak the truth.
We saw the dog --- worried the cat.

He ---, does his best shall be praised.
I know ---. you mean.
She has gone to Chennai, --- is her birthplace.
I have seen the bird --- you describe.
I do not know the man --- hit the boy.

Here is the pen --- you lost.
Most people get --- they deserve.
Time --- is lost is never found again.
I did not know the person --- called.
     He is a man --- you can trust. .
Where is the book --- I gave you?
Is this the street --- leads to the station? .
The letter --- you wrote never arrived.
Listen to --- I say.
He --- is merciful shall meet mercy.
Did you receive the letter --- I sent yesterday?
--- I have said, I have said.
--- he was I could never find out.
--- do you believe him to be?
Do you know --- has happened?
--- is done cannot be undone.
Do the same --- I do.
For my purpose I need such a man --- he is.
God helps those --- help themselves.
No man can lose --- he never had.
     You should not imitate such a boy --- he.

.

Exercise in Composition

Fill the blanks with suitable Relative Pronouns:-
That man --- wilt not work must starve.
Such a man --- he should be honoured.

These mangoes are not such --- I bought yesterday.
It is not such a pretty place --- I had expected.
We have need of more such men --- he.
He plays the game --- he likes best.
I do not believe --- you say.
My uncle, --- I loved, is dead.
The farmer is cutting the corn--- has ripened.
--- you say is not true.
A lady --- I know nursed the child.
He says--- he means, and means --- he says.
--- pleases you wilt please me.
I gave it to the man --- I saw there.
I know --- you are seeking.
They --- touch pitch will be defiled.
You have not brought the book --- I asked for.





       Only he --- bears the burden knows its weight.
  Such books --- you read are not worth reading.
When you speak to him remember to --- you are speaking.
I regard that man as lost --- has lost his sense of shame.
Wealth is not his --- has it, but his --- enjoys it.
People --- are too sharp cut their own fingers.
Truth provokes those --- it does not convert.
We do not know --- he intends to do.
It is an ill wind --- blows nobody good,
Is this a dagger --- I see before me? .
I know to --- you are alluding.
--- the gods would destroy they first make mad.
He is the very man --- we want.
Place recite --- you have learned.
They always talk --- never think.
Such --- have pure hearts shall inherit the kingdom of heaven.

Exercise in Composition

Join together each of the following pairs of sentences by means of a Connective:-
I know a man. The man has been to Iceland.
The thief stole the watch. The thief was punished.
Show the road. The road leads to Delhi.
Here is the doctor. The doctor cured me of malaria.

J met a boy. He was very cruel.
He does his best. He should be praised.
The man is honest. The man is trusted.
My father is dead. I loved my father.
The teacher sent for the boy. The boy came at once.

Wellington was a great general. He defeated Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo.
The dog bit the burglar. The burglar had broken into the house.
Once upon a time there lived a giant. The giant was very powerful and cruel.
We met a girl. The girl had lost her way.
Kalidas is famous. He wrote some fine dramas.
He is a rogue. No one trusts him.
The child is dead. The child came here yesterday.
The child is dead. I saw the child yesterday.
I know the man. He stole the bicycle.
The man stole the bicycle. He has been arrested.
I have found the umbrella. I lost it.
I saw a soldier. He had lost an arm.
This is the path. He came by this path.
   The horse was lame. We saw the horse. . . .
Those boys were kept in. They had been very lazy.
I saw a girl. She was singing.
That boy bowls very well. You see him there.
Here is the book. You were asking for the book.
Here is the pencil. You lost it yesterday. .
The man is deaf. You spoke to the man.
Coal is found in Bengal. It is a very useful mineral.

Exercise in Composition

Join together each of the following pairs of sentences by means of a Connective:-
This is the building. It was built in a single month.
The letter reached me this morning. You sent the letter.
Karim is always idle. He was punished.
I met my uncle. He had just arrived.
This is the house. Jack built it.
The boy is my cousin. You see him there.

The ladies have arrived. I was speaking of them.

The boys clapped heartily. They were watching the match.
The boy tells lies. He deserves to be punished.
I heard a song. The song pleased me.
Here is a book. The book contains pictures.
Give me the ruler. The ruler ts on the desk.
The bicycle is a new one. Hari rode it.
We got into a bus. It was full of people.
He has a friend. He is a clever artist.
He is a well-known man. His generosity is the talk of the town.
The cat caught the mouse. The cat was pursuing the mouse.
Can I borrow the book? You are reading it.
The boy was very proud. He had won the first prize.

Little Red Riding Hood went lo visit her grandmother. Her grand mother was ill in bed.
This is my cousin. I was speaking of him.
We all despise a cowardly boy. He is one.
This is the cat. It killed the rat.
Those grapes were very sweet. You brought them.
Hari spoke to the soldier. The soldier's arm was in a sling.
The captain praised Balu. Balu's bowling was very good.
A man came running up. He heard me calling.

Exercise in Composition

Split each of the following sentences into two:-
The boys gave a loud shout, which was heard across the river.
Bring me the book that is on the table.
It was a wretched hut in which she lived.
The boy who fell off his bicycle has hurt his leg.
The elephant 'hat was sick died.
The farmer is cutting the corn which has ripened.
Napoleon, whom (he French honour, died at St. Helena.
The crow dropped the cheese, which the fox immediately snapped up.
John, who is my cousin, is a diligent boy.
Where is the parcel that I left here yesterday?
I have found the book which I lost.
We visited Cox's Bazar, which is the most attractive spot in Bangladesh.
The boy whom you see there made the top score in the last match.

Dadabhai Naoroji, who was the First Indian to enter the British Parliament, was a Parsee.
He is a poet whose works arc widely known.
The Taj Mahal, which was built by Shah Jahan, is the finest mausoleum in the world.

Last year we visited the Moti Masjid. which is a mosque of great architectural beauty.
The meeting, which was held in the Town Hall, was a great success.
The rope, which was old, snapped.
The task which you have to do is easy.
People who live in glass houses must not throw stones.


Comments

Unknown said…
Such...... Have pure heart shall inherit the kingdom of heaven
Unknown said…
Give the solutions of exercises,how we will decide that what i have done is correct or incorrect

Popular posts from this blog

Expansion of Passages

EXPANSION OF PASSAGES This exercise is the exact opposite of Precis-writing. In Precis-writing we have to compress; and in these exercises we have to expand. A sentence, or a short passage, has to be enlarged into a paragraph by the fuller and more elaborate expression of its meaning, or by adding illustrations, details or proofs to a simple statement. Such exercise practically amounts to the writing of miniature essays on the subject of the original sentence or passage. No strict rule can be laid down for the length of the expansion; it must not be too short, or it will scarcely be an expansion, or so long as to become an essay. On the average, eighty to one hundred words should be aimed at. METHOD OF PROCEDURE Carefully read the original sentence or passage until you feel that you clearly understand its meaning. (It is a good practice to try to express the main idea in a word or a phrase; e.g., the real subject of the second specimen is, "Pride in One's Work

Transitive and Intransitive Verb

THE VERB Transitive and Intransitive Verbs A Verb is a word that tells or asserts something about a person or thing. Verb comes from the Latin verbum, a word. It is so called because it is the most important word in a sentence. A Verb may tell us- What a person or thing does; as, Hari laughs. The clock strikes. What is done to a person or thing ; as, Hari is scolded. The window is broken. What a person or thing is; as, The cat is dead. Glass is brittle. I feel sorry. Def:- A Verb is a word used to tell or assert something about some person or thing. A Verb often consists of more than one word; as, The girls were singing. I have learnt my lesson. The watch has been found. Read these sentences:- The boy kicks the football. The boy laughs loudly. In sentence 1, the action denoted by the verb kicks passes over from the doer or subject boy to some Object football. The verb kicks is, therefore, called a Transitive Verb. (Transitive means passing ove

Phrases

PHRASES 1. Adjective Phrases We have seen that sometimes a group of words does the work of an adjective ( Now examine the following pairs of sentences:- 1. (a) The vizier was a wealthy man.    (b) The vizier was a man of great wealth. 2. (a) The magistrate was a kind man.    (b) The magistrate was a man with a kindly nature.       3.   (a) The chief lived in a stone house.                                     (b)  The chief lived in a house built of stone. 4. (a) I like to see a smiling face.     (b) I like to see a face with a smile on it. 5. (a) The coolies belonged to a hill tribe.     (b) The coolies belonged to a tribe dwelling in the hills. In each of the above pairs of sentences, we have first a single word describing the person or thing denoted by the noun, and then a group of words describing the person or thing denoted by the same noun. For instance, the group of words of great wealth tells us what sort of man the vizier was.