Skip to main content

Autobiographies


AUTOBIOGRAPHIES


A Biography is the history of the life of a person written by someone else (e.g., Southey's "Life of Nelson," Boswell's "Life of Johnson," etc.). An Autobiography is the history of the life of a person written by himself (e.g., John Stewart Mill's "Autobiography").

In the following exercises, the pupil is asked to use his imagination by pretending

to be another person, an animal, or an inanimate object, and to invent an autobiography of him or it. He must consider himself to be the animal or object, and, in the first person. Write as that particular animal or object might be supposed to tell its own story.

The story must be made as interesting as possible and told in simple language, Mich as in every-day talk.

SPECIMENS

1. THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A EURO

As soon as I entered this fascinating world I was looked upon with great expectations. The world was full of racism yet I was held in high esteem. People from the United States of America to Antartica looked at me as I soon rolled out from the parentage of Europeans. Since economists, raging bulls and bears did not know much about me, I caught the apprehension of my parents, the share market holders, the financial experts, scholars, students and so on. On my birth I was placed on the lap of my mother the Federal Bank.

Frankly, my brother Lira, my sister sterling and my extended family members like the Deutsche Mark the Yen were quite jealous of me. I know my worth I reveal this secret of mine henceforth. I am a form of money held or traded outside the country, in whose currency its value is stated. In future I would be globally acceptable by the . members of all the nations.

I now take pride of place in the Euromarket, a financial market which deals with European currencies. I do not want to roll over but I'd love to be accepted by the developing as well as underdeveloped nations.

2. THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A HORSE

Now that I am getting old and stiff in the joints, I like to meditate, while grazing in the pasture, on my foal days. I think that was the happiest part of my life. I had no work to do, and could run about after my mother, who was a fine white Arab mare, without any restraint. Most of my time was spent in the fields, where I nibbled the tender grass and capered about, while my mother was steadily grazing.

But that could not last for ever. When I was old enough, the trainer came and, to my great indignation, fastened a long rope to my head, and then began driving me round and round in circles with his long whip. I was frightened and angry, but he went on till I was so tired that I could scarcely stand. However, my mother told me that it was no use my resisting, and to make a long story short, I was at last thoroughly trained as a riding-horse.
I was bought by a young officer as a polo pony, and I soon got to love the game. He was a kind master, and a good rider; and in the end I would do anything for him, and was quite proud when his side won the game. But he got into debt, and had to sell me; and I was bought by a gentleman and a lady who kept a buggy, and was trained to run in shafts. I haled this work; and I am afraid I gave a lot of trouble, by going as slowly .is I could. When my driver gave me the whip, I started shying at any object on the road. And then I
found that jibbing was a very good trick, and whenever I was whipped, I simply backed.

My owner got disgusted at last, and sold me to a gentleman who was fond of hunting. I was delighted to get back to saddle-work; and thoroughly enjoyed my gallops with the hounds after the jackal in open country. But an accident put a stop to that jolly life; for one day my master pressed me to a big jump which I knew I could not do. I did my best but fell short, and fell. My master was thrown and broke his arm, and I badly sprained one of my legs.

I was in hospital for weeks, and then was sold to a gentleman who wanted a quiet riding-horse. He was a kind master, and used me well; and I was in his service for a good number of years. Now I am old, he gives me very little work, and I spend most of my time grazing in the pasture, and leading a quiet, contented life.

Exercise

Write autobiographies of the following :-

A Bee :- (Read up something about the habits of hive-bees; then bring in the various duties of the worker-bee; feeding and tending larvae (young), strong honey, sweeping hive, guarding, fetching nectar from flowers to make honey, etc.)

An Ant :- (On the same lines.)

A St. Bernard Dog :- (Training as a puppy by monks of St. Bernard to rescue travellers lost in snow; describe the dog; sent out with flask of brandy fastened round its neck; some of the dog's adventures.)

A Sheep Dog :- (Training by the shepherd to look after flock; as young dog, imitates his mother in her work; learns to understand the shepherd's sign and verbal orders; knows each sheep, and can pick out and bring whichever the shepherd wants; can separate certain numbers from others; drives sheep to pastures, and into fold at night; guards flock against enemies.)

An Elephant :- (Wild life in jungle when young; how caught in keddah by decoy; training; its work: carrying loads, piling logs, drawing carts, carrying hunters in tiger-shooting, marching in state processions, etc.)

A Rose Tree :- [Early cultivation; the first pruning resented; learns later it is necessary for producing fine flowers; gets rich manure; leams that cultivation makes it different from wild rose; suffers from disease, like greenfly, blight, etc.; how gardener cures it; produces splendid red roses; much admired; next year, some blooms gain prize at Flower Show; cuttings taken (its children), etc.]

A Watch :- (Describe.-silver watch; in jeweller's shop; other watches its

companions; e.g., proud gold watch, humble gun-metal watch, repeating watches, wrist watches, etc. Bought as present for young man; stolen out of his pocket; sold by thief; put in pawnshop; bought by man; falls sick and goes to hospital, i.e., jeweller's-new main spring.)

A River :-(Rises as spring in mountains, or from a glacier; mountain torrent, rocky bed, water-falls, tributaries, swollen when snow melts; reaches plains; slow steady river; cultivated fields on banks; irrigation canals taken off; passes villages and small towns; flows through a big town; pollution of waters; boats and ships; fall into sea at big port, etc.)

A Kite or Hawk :- (Young in a nest in a tall tree, fed by mother and father; kite; how it learns to fly; hunting its prey-mice, chickens, small birds;.teased by crows and minas; chooses mate; builds nest; etc.)

A Fish (Salmon) :- (Its youth as a smelt in river; journey to the sea; returns up river leaping weirs; chooses a mate; grows big; fished for; how it is deceived by bait; nearly hooked; escapes and vows to take no more baits; its enemies; proud of being king of river fishes, etc.)

Exercise

Write autobiographies of :-

A Camel. 2. A Spider. 3. A Donkey. 4. A Tiger. 5. A Seagull 6. A Kingfisher. 7. A Caterpillar and Butterfly. 8. A computer 9. A robot. 10. A House. 11. A Motorcar. 12. An Aeroplane. 13. A Crocodile. 14. ACrow. 15. A Steamship. 16. ACobra. 17. A Buffalo.

A Tractor. 19. A Child's Toy. 20. A Rifle.

Exercise

Tell the life-story of each one of the following as told by it-self-

A Piece of Coal. 2. An Owl. 3. A Pariah Dog. 4. A Parrot. 5. A Coconut Tree. 6. A Banyan Tree.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expansion of Passages

EXPANSION OF PASSAGES This exercise is the exact opposite of Precis-writing. In Precis-writing we have to compress; and in these exercises we have to expand. A sentence, or a short passage, has to be enlarged into a paragraph by the fuller and more elaborate expression of its meaning, or by adding illustrations, details or proofs to a simple statement. Such exercise practically amounts to the writing of miniature essays on the subject of the original sentence or passage. No strict rule can be laid down for the length of the expansion; it must not be too short, or it will scarcely be an expansion, or so long as to become an essay. On the average, eighty to one hundred words should be aimed at. METHOD OF PROCEDURE Carefully read the original sentence or passage until you feel that you clearly understand its meaning. (It is a good practice to try to express the main idea in a word or a phrase; e.g., the real subject of the second specimen is, "Pride in One's Work

Transitive and Intransitive Verb

THE VERB Transitive and Intransitive Verbs A Verb is a word that tells or asserts something about a person or thing. Verb comes from the Latin verbum, a word. It is so called because it is the most important word in a sentence. A Verb may tell us- What a person or thing does; as, Hari laughs. The clock strikes. What is done to a person or thing ; as, Hari is scolded. The window is broken. What a person or thing is; as, The cat is dead. Glass is brittle. I feel sorry. Def:- A Verb is a word used to tell or assert something about some person or thing. A Verb often consists of more than one word; as, The girls were singing. I have learnt my lesson. The watch has been found. Read these sentences:- The boy kicks the football. The boy laughs loudly. In sentence 1, the action denoted by the verb kicks passes over from the doer or subject boy to some Object football. The verb kicks is, therefore, called a Transitive Verb. (Transitive means passing ove

Phrases

PHRASES 1. Adjective Phrases We have seen that sometimes a group of words does the work of an adjective ( Now examine the following pairs of sentences:- 1. (a) The vizier was a wealthy man.    (b) The vizier was a man of great wealth. 2. (a) The magistrate was a kind man.    (b) The magistrate was a man with a kindly nature.       3.   (a) The chief lived in a stone house.                                     (b)  The chief lived in a house built of stone. 4. (a) I like to see a smiling face.     (b) I like to see a face with a smile on it. 5. (a) The coolies belonged to a hill tribe.     (b) The coolies belonged to a tribe dwelling in the hills. In each of the above pairs of sentences, we have first a single word describing the person or thing denoted by the noun, and then a group of words describing the person or thing denoted by the same noun. For instance, the group of words of great wealth tells us what sort of man the vizier was.