Skip to main content

Dialogue Writing


DIALOGUE-WRITING


A Dialogue literally means "talk between two people". Dialogue-writing is a useful form of composition, especially for the Indian student who is trying to gain a command of spoken English. Under proper guidance, it should introduce him to the colloquial way of talking English, and train him to express his thoughts in easy and natural constructions. The spoken English of the Indian school-boy is too often rather stilted and bookish, owing to the fact that he has not much chance of talking with English people; and anything that will help him to acquire naturalness and ease in speaking in English is of value.

To write a dialogue successfully, calls for a little dramatic power; for the writer has not only to see both sides of a question, but has also to put himself, so to speak, inside two imaginary persons so as to make them express their opposite opinions naturally and in keeping with their characters. He has in turn to be each one, and see the point of view of each on the question.

A written dialogue should be so composed that it appears to be spontaneous or impromptu. The reader of it should not feel that it is premeditated, stilted and dull. At the same time, careful preparation is necessary for writing a dialogue, though this must not appear. The writer must have the art to conceal his art. It is always advisable to make a plan or outline of the dialogue before beginning to write; otherwise the dialogue may be rambling and pointless.

METHOD OF PROCEDURE

Carefully think over the subject given, and jot down briefly the arguments or opinions about it which might reasonably be expressed by the imaginary persons who are supposed to be talking.

Arrange these ideas in some logical order, so that one will arise naturally from another in the course of the conversation. (It is well to write down these points in the form of an outline, or numbered heads, as a guide to follow in writing the dialogue.)

Try to imagine what would be the way in which each character in the dialogue would express his views. To do this, you must have in your mind a clear idea of the imaginary persons taking part in the conversation, so as to make them speak in character. (For instance, in Specimen No. 2, Swarup, the bookish student talks in a different way from Dulip Singh, the athletic student.)

Keep in mind that your dialogue, when completed, should read like a real, spontaneous conversation. So try to make your imaginary characters talk in an easy, familiar and natural manner. Avoid stilted
and bookish phrases. Try to remember how real people talk in friendly conversation, and reproduce that conversational style as well as you can.


SPECIAL HINTS

(a) Don't let any of your characters monopolize the conver sation, as if he were giving a public lecture. Give all a chance, and keep the ball rolling. Let the conversation be brisk and rapid.

Tn real conversation, one person sometimes interrupts the other, or breaks in on what he is saying. A sparing use of such interruptions in written dialogue is quite permissible, and adds to its naturalness.

For example :-

A -- "I am perfectly certain he would never do such thing. Why, only the other day he toid me --"
B -- "I don't care what he told you ! I know for a fact that he did it."

In real conversation, a speaker often answers a question by asking another; or sometimes, seeing what is coming, he answers a question before it is asked. You may enliven your dialogue by making your characters do the same now and then.

For example :-

A -- "What will you do if he does not answer your letter?" B -- "Well, what would you do?"
D -- "I heard something about you the other day, John."

J -- "I know ! You are going to ask me why I was absent from office last Monday. We]], I will tell you--etc."

In real conversation, people often use exclamations, surprise (e.g., "My word !" "Good heavens !" "You don't say so !" "Well" etc.); irritation (e.g., "Bother V "O dear !" "Confound it'."); pleasure ("How nice !" "Splendid !")-and so on. Such interjections may be introduced from time to time, sparingly; but the use of them should not be overdone. (Note.-Slang and profane words should be avoided).

The dialogue should begin in an interesting way, so that the reader's attention may be arrested from the very first. And the conversation should lead up to some definite conclusion. It should not end abruptly and in the air, so to speak. Special attention should be paid to the opening sentences and the conclusion.

The fact that language should be as far as possible colloquial does not, of course, mean that it may be ungrammatical. However free- and-easy the style in which the persons in the dialogue are made to talk, they must talk good English. They must not, for example, be made to use such expressions as, "He asked my brother and / to tea," or "Can

I give you an advice?'

Keeping these points in view, write your dialogue in as natural, interesting and realistic a manner as possible. The whole conversation should be brief, and the questions and replies as concise and pointed as possible.

SPECIMENS

A conversation between two boys, one of whom is habitually despondent and thinks that luck is against him, whereas the other is of a more practical turn of mind.

Nasarullah Jan. - Come, Hussain, you are taking your failure too much to heart. I know it is a great disappointment, and I sympathize with you; but you must not allow it to make you so unhappy.

Mohd. Hussain.- It is all very well for a lucky chap like you, Nasarullah. You have passed the first time, and this is my second failure. You would not feel so cheery if you were in my place.

N.J.- I know; but you must pull yourself together, and make up your mind you will pass next time. Remember the old saying "If at first you don't succeed, try, tiy, again!"

M.H.- I think the other version of the saying has more sense in it.'Tf at first you don't succeed, quit, quit, quit, at once !"

N.J.- Oh nonsense ! You'll never do anything if you don't persevere. Now why do you think you failed?

M.H.- All this year fate has been against me. First, I was ill with enteric, which lost me a whole term. Then just before my examination, my father died, and that so upset me that I could not prepare properly.

NJ.- Well, you certainly did have bad luck, I am sorry. But I am sure you will succeed next time; so you must make up your mind to win through.

M.H.- If s no use. 1 think I was born unlucky. 1 seem to fail in everything 1 touch.'I tried several times to get a scholarship, but some other boy always got it instead. I shall give it up.

NJ.- Indeed, you must not. Remember it's the darkest hour before the dawn. Often when things are at the worst, they begin to improve. I don't believe in all the talk about bad and good luck. A brave man makes his own luck. You have a year before you; you have brains, and if you will only pull yourself together and put your heart into your work, you will win through.

M.H.- I wish I had your disposition. Still, I will take your advice and have another try.

NJ.- That's the style ! And I am sure you will succeed and break your so-called "bad luck" once for all.


An imaginary conversation between a bookish student and an athletic student on the comparative merits of mental and physical culture.

Dulip Singh.- Hello, Swarup ! Swotting away as usual. Come out, man; shut up your old books, and come and have a game of tennis.

Swamp.- I am sorry I cannot do that, Dulip. The examination is drawing near, and J want every hour I can get for study.

Dulip Singh.- Oh! hang all examinations ! I do not worry about mine. What is the use of them, any way?

Swarup.- Weli, you can't get a degree if you don't pass the examination; and 1 have set my heart on being a B.A.

Dulip Singh.- And pray what good will B.A. do you? You may get a clerkship in a government office; but that's all. And there are hundreds of fellows who have got their degrees, and are no nearer getting jobs of any sort.

Swarup.- That may be so; but I am not studying so much to pass my examination and obtain my degree, as to store my mind with knowledge and develop my intellectual faculties.

Dulip Singh.- My word ! How fine you "highbrows" can talk ! "Develop my intellectual faculties,"! I tell you, all a man wants to get on in the world is some brains, plain common sense, and plenty of push. And you can't learn these things from books. And while you are "developing your intellectual faculties," you are spoiling your health You will soon be a thin, white, narrow-chested, half-blind weakling it'you slick to your beloved books like this, Look at me broad chest and feel my biceps ! Any way,
I am developing my physical powers with my games and athletics.

Swamp.- Well, if I have to choose, I would rather have a learned and cultivated mind than a strong and well-developed body; for the mind is far more important lhan the body.

Dulip Singh.- Oh ! I see ! You mean to say that a man who plays football and hockey and is as strong as a horse, cannot have any brains?

Swarup.- I did not say that; but you may remember what Kipling said about "muddied oafs and flannelled fools."

Dulip Singh.- Well, I must say you are very complimentary ! Kipling must have been an ass if he said that. Anyway I would rather be "a muddied oaf than a whitefaced, spectacled book-worm, as blind as an owl.

Their teacher (coming in).-Hello! What are you two fellows quarrelling about?

[They explained.]

Teacher.- I see. Well, you are both right and both wrong. Swarup, a little more physical exercise will do you good and will not interfere with your mental culture; and Dulip Singh, a little more study will not in any way spoil your physical strength. So, go and have a game of tennis, Swarup; and afterwards you, Dulip, settle down to a few hours' study.

A dialogue between a countryman and a townsman, bringing out the comparative advantages of town and country life.

Smith.- Good morning. Mr. Jones. It is a long time since I saw you in town. Are yon staying long?

Jones.- Good morning, No, Mr. Smith, I only came up on business for a few hours, and hope to get home again this evening.

Smith.- Running away so soon? Why not stay a few days and enjoy yourself?

Jones.- Not me. I don't find much enjoyment in the smoky air of a town, and all its noise and racket. Give me the clean air, the sunshine, and the quiet of the country.

Smith.- Well, I grant you have the advantage of purer air in the ountry: but as for noise, you soon get used to it. In fact, I could not stand your quiet-it would drive me crazy. I like to feel plenty of life and movement about me.

Jones.- Really? Why, I could not get a wink of sleep in a noisy town. And towns are so ugly - nothing to see but ugly smoke-grimed houses, dreary streets, hideous advertisements on every hoarding, factory chimneys belching smoke, and a dull, smoky sky. I have the beauty of the green fields and shady woods and flowery meadows of the country.

Smith.- Ah ! my friend, but do not forget what Dr. Johnson said : "When you have seen one green field you have seen all green fields; come with me down Fleet Street and study man."

Jones.- Well, all I can say is that Dr, Johnson never saw a green field in his life, or he would have known that there is an infinite variety in nature if you have the eyes to see it.

Smith.- But what in the world do you do with yourself in your village? It must be a very dull and slow life, with no theatres, no concerts, no cinemas, no public lectures, no exciting political meetings. You must lead a stupid vegetable life, like a cabbage.

Jones.- Not so stupid and dull as you imagine. I have my garden, which is a great source of pleasure; and there is fishing, and a little hunting. And then I love tramping over the hills, and seeing the beautiful scenery. And in the evenings I have my books.

Smith.- Well, every man to his taste; but to me yours would be a dull life.

Jones.- Dull or not, it is much healthier. In the pure country, we do not get the epidemics and dirt-produced diseases you have in the towns. And our quiet habits give us longer lives.

Smith.- Yes, you mey live longer in the country. But you don’t get so much out

of life as we do in town. A short life and a merry one, I say.

4. A dialogue between two boys discussing their hobbies.

George.- I am in luck, Will. My uncle has just sent me a letter from Japan, where he is on business, with some Japanese stamps. He knows I collect them and often sends me foreign stamps from the places he visits..

Will.- They look rather nice. Are you going to paste them in your album?

George.- Yes, here it is. I have got quite a nice collection now.

Will.- What a lot ! French, Italian, Dutch, German, American, Turkish. You seem to have some from almost every country.

George.- Oh ! there are a lot I have not got yet. And some rare ones are very expensive, and cost pounds of money.

Will.- But what is the use of collecting stamps?

George.- Oh ! Well, it's a hobby. And it teaches you some geography; and sometimes it brings money.

Will.- How is that?

George.- Why, a really good collection sometimes sells for hundreds of pounds. Why don't you go in for stamp-collecting?

Will.- I like something more active. My hobby is collecting ferns and wild flowers. And to get these you have to go long country walks, and explore the woods, and climb the hills. It is quite an adventure when you find a rare plant or fern in some wild place.

George.- But what do you do with them when you get them?

Will.- I press them, and then mount them neatly on sheets of paper, and name them. I have got quite a nice collection.

George. - How do you press them?

Will.- I lay the fern or plant between sheets of blotting-paper, and put them in a press, or under a board with heavy weights. You have to change the blotting-paper every day, and in about a week the plant is dried and pressed, and will last like that for years.

George.- And what is the good of your hobby?

Will.- Well, it teaches me a lot of botany; and takes me into beautiful country; and does me good physically, because it means exercise in the open air.

5. A dialogue between a master and a pupil on public speaking.

Master.- Well Ram Narain, I hear you are taking part in the speaking competition.

Pupil.- Yes, Sir; and I came to ask you to give me some hints on the art of the public speaking.

Master.- With pleasure, Ram Narain. Have you prepared your speech?

Pupil.- Yes, Sir; and now I am learning it by heart.

Master.- Oh ! but that is a great mistake. Always carefully prepare what you want to say, but never try to learn it off by heart.

Pupil.- But why, Sir?

Master.- Because when you are speaking, you should watch your audience to see whether they are following what you say. You can see by their faces whether they understand and are interested; and if they are not, you can then win their attention by adding, or emphasizing, or changing something. But if your speech is learnt by heart, you can't alter it.

Pupil.- But it seems so much easier to learn it.

Master.- It is not so in the end. Memorising is a great strain. Also, if you forget one sentence, you may break down altogether.

Pupil.- Well, I might manage if I could have my notes with me when I speak.

Master.- At first you may take a short note of outline, or main points, of your speech, lets you forgot; But when you get used to speaking in public, it is best to do without notes altogether.

Pupil.- But if I don't use notes, and must not learn my speeches off by heart how can I remember what to say?

Master.- You must prepare carefully, and Ihink out what you want to say; and learn the main points, or outline, of your speech. Then, when you get up to speak, you will find that the words will conic.

Pupil.- But I feel so nervous when I have to speak.

Master.- That is natural, especially at first. But as you get used to speaking in public, you will overcome that. Even practised speakers often feel very nervous before they begin to speak; but when they get on to their feet, they forget all about it.

Pupil.- When I am nervous. I think I speak too fast.

Master.- Well, you must practise speaking slowly and distinctly. And don't shout-it strains your voice and prevents people hearing you; and don't speak too low. Speak naturally, so that all can hear.

Pupil.- Thank you, Sir, for your hints. I will try to follow them.

A dialogue on the choice of a profession-law or medicine. Jai Dyal.- Thank goodness ! our examinations are over at last.

Sain Das.- What a relief ! I hope I shall pass; for 1 have just got a letter from my father promising to send me to the Medical College if I get through the F. Sc.

Jai Dyal.- Oh ! are you going to be a doctor?

Sain Das.- Yes; and I am very glad. My father is a doctor, you know, and I have always wanted to be one too. It seems a very interesting profession. What are you going to do?

Jai Dyal.- My ambition is to be a lawyer; and when I have got my B.A.. 1 am to go to the Law College to study Tor my LL.B.

Sain Das.- Law ! That never had any attractions for me. Why do you want to be a lawyer? Jai Dyal.- Well, it is a very respectable profession. One can be a gentleman and hold a good position, any way.

Sain Das.- So can a doctor. The medical profession is just as respectable as the legal.

Jai Dyal.- Oh ! yes. of course. But I think a lawyer can make more.money than a doctor.


Sain Das.- I am not so sure of that. A few lawyers who get to be leaders of the bar, of course, do make fortunes. But what about the crowd of pleaders and even barristers who can scarcely make a living? The law is terribly overcrowded.

Jai Dyal.- Oh ! well, there is always plenty of room at the top, you know.

Sain Das.- What 1 like about the medical profession, apart from its scientific interest, is that the work is so humanitarian. A doctor is always doing good to his fellows-relieving suffering, curing diseases, restoring health, and so making folk happy. This makes a doctor's life a sort of social service.

Jai Dyal.- Well, a lawyer is doing good work too. He is helping to detect and prevent crime, defending the innocent from false charges, and helping people in distress.

Sain Das.- Yes; but a lawyer's life is full of temptations. He is tempted to defend criminals for big fees, and to get them off from just punishment. I don't see how a lawyer can help being a liar, too !

Jai Dyal.- Now you are joking. It is as possible for a lawyer to be an honest man as it is for a doctor to be a rogue.

Exercise

Compose imaginary conversations on the following subjects:-

1. Between a father and his son on thrift.

(Hints :- The son has been wasting his allowance extravagantly and got into debt; his father rebukes him, and warns him of the danger of extravagance, telling him how to spend economically, and save for his old age.)

Between a temperance advocate and a young man on the evils of intemperance. (Hints :- The young man sees no harm in drinking; argues it is a jolly social custom, makes him lively and happy, drowns care, revives him when tired, is a manly habit, etc. The temperance man warns him against danger of becoming a drunkard; the terrible power of the drink craving; argues alcoholic drink is a slow poison, and damages health; appeals to him to set an example to others by signing the pledge,etc.)

Between a soldier and a shopkeeper on the merits of their respective occupations. (Hints :- The soldier argues that his is a noble profession; superior to civilian in rank; calls for courage and manly qualities; he is the defender of his country; whereas a tradesman's job is mean and despised; no job for a man, etc. The shopkeeper argues that the soldier produces nothing; he simply destroys; it is a butcher's job; food for powder, etc.; whereas the tradesman is a useful member of society, who is doing a public service; can become rich, while a soldier must always be poor, etc. The dignity of labour.)

Between a huntsman and a gardener on their respective pursuits.

(Hints :- The huntsman defends his sport as manly, exciting, and needing courage; tries to show he benefits others by killing pesls like tigers and bears; says gardening is a tame and effeminate hobby. The gardener argues hunting is a cruel sport; it means killing and torturing many of God's innocent creatures; purely destructive, whereas he is productive; making two blades of grass grow where only one grew before; making the world more beautiful. (Hints :- The refining effect of gardening.)

Exercise

Write a short imaginary conversation :-
Between a horse and an ass.
Between a cage-bird and a crow.
Between a pen and a pencil.
Between a pet-dog and a pariah-dog.
Between a motor-car and a trap-horse.
Between an aeroplane and a railway-train.
Between a fountain-pen and a lead pencil.
Between an oil-lamp and an electric-lamp.
Between a spider and a fly.
          Between Cinderella and her two sisters just before the ball.

Exercise

Write in the form of a dialogue :-

The president of B.C.C.I, and you.
The fable of "The Lion and the Mouse."
The fable of “The country Mouse and the Town Mouse”.

The fable of "The Blind Man and the Lame Man."
The fable of "The Dog in the Manger,"
The fable of "The Ant and the Grasshopper."
The fable of "The Wolf and the Lamb."
Between ordinary food and fast food
A clinic and tele-medicine.
A blood bank and multiple organ donor bank.
Commerce and e-commerce.

Exercise

Write a short dialogue :-

Between two friends about dreams.
Between a miser and a spendthrift.
Between a railway-guard and an engine-driver.
Between two class-fellows about the visit of the Inspector..
Between two boys discussing their hobbies.
Between a credulous man and an impostor.
Between two friends on a topic of common interest.
Between two friends-the one a believer, and other a disbeliever, in ghost stories.
Between two boys about the approaching examination.
          Between two class-fellows on a poem they have read in the class.
Between a hypochondriac and his friend.
Between two boys who have just come out of the Examination Hall.
Between two friends who have lost their way in a jungle.
Between two friends discussing holiday plans.
Between two friends about their neighbours.

Between two boys caught in a shower on their way from school. One looks on the Bright side of matters, and the other on the dark side.
Between two friends on life in flats.

Between two friends discussing the "theatre-manners" of latecomers, who mar the pleasure of the audience.
Fan and an airconditioner.
An earthquake and a cyclone.

Exercise

Write short dialogues on the following :-
The use and abuse of athletics.
The advantages and disadvantages of solitude.
The uses and abuses of advertisement.
The advantages and disadvantages of cheap literature.
The pleasures and perils of speed.
The pleasures and disadvantages of life in a school hostel.
The advantages and disadvantages of life in a great city.
The influence of the Cinema.
The necessity to save Religious Institutions.

   The advantages and disadvantages of life in a great city.
   The influence of Television Channels
   Terrorism and Fanaticism.


Exercise

Discuss in the form of a dialogue the pros and cons of the following subjects:-
Prohibition. .
Alms-giving.
Corporal punishment.
The caste system.  .
Luck.

Lotteries.
Hand-industries
Asceticism.
Geography as a class-subject.
Entrance Examinations.
Making Global Friendship through the Internet
Awards and Recognitions.

Exercise

Discuss each of the following subjects in the form of a dialogue :-
Is luxury an evil?
Is poverty a handicap?
Which should be the medium of education in our school-English or the vernaculars?
Ought every boy to become a Scout?
Which is worse-flood or fire?
Which should we use in a big town-well water or tap-water?
Which is better-hockey or cricket?
War-is it necessary?
Which is better-to wear out or to rust out?
          Should Hygiene be made a compulsory school-subject?

Exercise

Finish the following conversations :-

Krishna.- Hurrah J only ten days to the holidays .'
Rama.- I know. I have been counting the days. I am just sick of school.
Krishna.- So am I. What are you going to do with yourself in the holidays?

Patient.- Good morning, doctor ! Can you spare me a few minutes?
Doctor.- Certainly ! Come in and sit down. Now, what is the matter with you?

Abdul.- What is that roaring noise? It sounds like a train.
Kabali.- More likely an aeroplane. Yes ! Up there .' Six of them.
Bepin.- Oh, yes ! They seem to be a great height up

Feroz Din.- Well, Abdul Latif, only three weeks more to the Matriculation examination!

Abdul Latif.- Yes, it is coming very near now. I wish it were all over.
FD.- So do I! And then, no more school.

A.L.- Hurrah ! What are you going to do when you leave school, Feroz Din?

Father.- I am sorry to hear you have failed in the examination, Hari. Hari.- So am I, father; it was just my bad luck. Look at Govind - lucky fellow! He passed in the second division. Father.- So you think it is all a matter of good luck and bad luck?

Rashid.- Here is a puzzle for you, Ghulam; which would you rather be - a sick millionaire or a healthy beggar?

Ghulam.- Well, that wants some thinking over. I suppose you mean, which is more important for our happiness - health or wealth?

Bepin.- So you object to corporal punishment in schools? Ramesh.- Yes, I do. I think it ought to be abolished. Bipin.- But Why?


Comments

Unknown said…
The pleasures and disadvantages of life in a school.
Kindly provide me this dialogue.

Popular posts from this blog

Expansion of Passages

EXPANSION OF PASSAGES This exercise is the exact opposite of Precis-writing. In Precis-writing we have to compress; and in these exercises we have to expand. A sentence, or a short passage, has to be enlarged into a paragraph by the fuller and more elaborate expression of its meaning, or by adding illustrations, details or proofs to a simple statement. Such exercise practically amounts to the writing of miniature essays on the subject of the original sentence or passage. No strict rule can be laid down for the length of the expansion; it must not be too short, or it will scarcely be an expansion, or so long as to become an essay. On the average, eighty to one hundred words should be aimed at. METHOD OF PROCEDURE Carefully read the original sentence or passage until you feel that you clearly understand its meaning. (It is a good practice to try to express the main idea in a word or a phrase; e.g., the real subject of the second specimen is, "Pride in One's Work

Transitive and Intransitive Verb

THE VERB Transitive and Intransitive Verbs A Verb is a word that tells or asserts something about a person or thing. Verb comes from the Latin verbum, a word. It is so called because it is the most important word in a sentence. A Verb may tell us- What a person or thing does; as, Hari laughs. The clock strikes. What is done to a person or thing ; as, Hari is scolded. The window is broken. What a person or thing is; as, The cat is dead. Glass is brittle. I feel sorry. Def:- A Verb is a word used to tell or assert something about some person or thing. A Verb often consists of more than one word; as, The girls were singing. I have learnt my lesson. The watch has been found. Read these sentences:- The boy kicks the football. The boy laughs loudly. In sentence 1, the action denoted by the verb kicks passes over from the doer or subject boy to some Object football. The verb kicks is, therefore, called a Transitive Verb. (Transitive means passing ove

Phrases

PHRASES 1. Adjective Phrases We have seen that sometimes a group of words does the work of an adjective ( Now examine the following pairs of sentences:- 1. (a) The vizier was a wealthy man.    (b) The vizier was a man of great wealth. 2. (a) The magistrate was a kind man.    (b) The magistrate was a man with a kindly nature.       3.   (a) The chief lived in a stone house.                                     (b)  The chief lived in a house built of stone. 4. (a) I like to see a smiling face.     (b) I like to see a face with a smile on it. 5. (a) The coolies belonged to a hill tribe.     (b) The coolies belonged to a tribe dwelling in the hills. In each of the above pairs of sentences, we have first a single word describing the person or thing denoted by the noun, and then a group of words describing the person or thing denoted by the same noun. For instance, the group of words of great wealth tells us what sort of man the vizier was.